Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Equinox and my Dad

An email my dad wrote about the summer solstice.  He and my brother Andy (who now lives in St. Paul) had a tradition of documenting on video the events on the longest day of the year.  It's a great piece and makes me think about how much I love my dad and how things change, but memories carry us.  An important reminder to live in the present and make new memories too:

Andy:
I didn't quite work from dawn to dusk, took a nap after lunch and quit
working at supper time. I should have also noted that an equinox and a
full moon on the same day occurs only once every 30 years. It's a
bitch (opps, politically incorrect) getting old.  But at least I
didn't have to chase a dog around the yard for harassing my cattle
while my wife and son laughed at me.  I thought about the good old
days and the film documentation for our "longest days" tradition and
got very nostalgic.  Then I realized that like the song line: "these
(meaning now) are the good old days" and I  better enjoy them too.
Went to Menards and picked up the steel and 2 x 4's for the house roof
repair.  Ironically, the south side which was fixed almost last about
1990 is in need of replacement.  Thankfully, it can be put on without
scaffolding and ladder hanging.  We'll send pics as the project
unfolds. Got all the 1st cutting  hay under roof (barn) and will
attempt  today to replant missed corn rows the planter skipped in the
original plant time. Oats is heading out, corn and beans are enjoying
the rain and hot sunshine, 85 degrees is optimal and I hope Minnesota
doesn't hog all the rain for the rest of the summer.  Hope all is well
with you and your family and remember all kids who live near Lake
Wobegon are above average.  Have a good second longest day.
Dad, Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment